There are two supported VPN "clients":
I.) Download and install the Cisco AnyConnect client.
II.) Configure the Mac VPN client.
Either Part I or Part II has to be completed for VPN access (NOT both).
- Remove/Uninstall current VPN client.
- Point your browser to to:https://vpnaccess.utah.edu and login:
- Group: Unid
- Username: email@example.com (or whatever VPN pool is appropriate for your use, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org or just email@example.com) note: chpc.utah.edu will allow you to samba mount nfs fileserver for home/group space). You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you're not sure which one you should use.
- Password: <your current umail/campus password>
- Click 'Continue'
- Click 'Start AnyConnect' This will try to automatically install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. This usually fails, but you are then given a link for 'Manual Installation'
- Click on the link 'Mac OS X 10.6+ (intel). This will download a .dmg file.
- Open 'anyconnect-macosx-3.1xxxx-web-deploy-k9.dmg' and install the client.
- Open Applications, Cisco then click 'Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client'
- The first time you use this VPN client, you'll need to enter in the 'Connect to:' field: vpnaccess.utah.edu
- Log into VPN using steps 2a, 2b, and 2c.
Either Part I or Part II has to be completed for VPN access (NOT both). If you prefer this method (Part II), see attached PDF below.
See the attached PDF for instructions on setting up the built in Mac VPN client. You'll have to call the campus helpdesk at 801-581-4000 option 1 to get the 'Shared Secret' word.
Or go to http://software.utah.edu/ and shop for "UIT VPN Client", and download the same pdf with instructions on configuring the Mac VPN client (you'll still have to call the campus helpdesk at 801-581-4000 option 1 to get the 'Shared Secret' word).
OK, Now that you have an active VPN connection, you can use the a Remote desktop program to remote display into swasey...
Your mac may have office 'remote desktop connection' which will work OK but we've had better experiences with the Microsoft Remote Desktop which can be download free from the apple store.
The newest version (version 8) is available on the Mac App store.
Once you have remote desktop installed, open it up and put swasey.chpc.utah.edu in the computer field. In the username field put your uNID, in the domain field put 'ad' (for active directory), now authenticate with your password and you should get a remote window on to swasey. If there are any issues with this please send email to email@example.com
NOTE: If you cannot authenticate to the VPN pool but your still able to connect/authenticate to https://nid.utah.edu then you may need to:
Work with whatever department you are currently affiliated with and have them submit an Affiliate/NON-employee form at: