CHPC provides a mechanism for our users to transfer files to and from individuals without CHPC accounts. This service is called guest-transfer.
What is it for?
At times, CHPC users need to transfer files to or from individuals that don't have CHPC accounts. These files are often quite large (many gigabytes), and thus unsuitable for other transport mechanisms (email, DVD).
These file transfers often need to happen with little or no warning. They may also need to occur outside CHPC's support hours. Thus, the guest-transfer service must function without intervention or assistance from CHPC staff.
What is it not for?
- The guest transfer service is not for repeated events.
- The guest transfer service is not for long-term data storage.
- The guest transfer service is not for restricted (PHI/HIPAA/HITECH/FERPA) or sensitive data.
- The guest transfer service is not for huge data transfers (it's currently restricted to approximately 500 gigabytes).
How do I get a guest account?
When a CHPC user needs to use the guest transfer service, he goes to https://guest-transfer.chpc.utah.edu/ and fills out an online form. This form creates a guest transfer account. The user then gives the guest account username and password to his colleague. The user and his colleague can now share files.
How do I use the service?
Once you have created a guest-transfer account and given it to your colleague, you and he copy your files to guest-transfer.chpc.utah.edu with your scp/sftp client (scp, sftp, WinSCP, etc).
Things to remember
There are a few things to remember about the service:
- The process is completely automatic. You fill out the form, it immediately gives you a guest account.
- Only CHPC users can create accounts.
- The person who creates the guest account is responsible for all activity of the guest account
- This guest account is only usable for the guest transfer service. It provides no access to any other CHPC or University resources.
- Files are transferred via scp/sftp. Interactive logins are disabled.
- Files are automatically removed after 30 days.
- Files in the guest-transfer service can be read or changed by any other user.
- Consider using encryption to protect and verify your files.
- DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE FOR SENSITIVE OR RESTRICTED DATA!
If you need help using the guest transfer service, send email to the CHPC Help Desk (help at chpc.utah.edu)